Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Final Week in MTC

We just finished our final CES classes today. Most of the CES lessons I've already had in seminary. However they presented some great ideas. One great thing I learned is "Teach Eternal Truths First". Whenever you're preparing a lesson, make sure you teach the things that are essential to know. If you have time, go to the fun to know or nice to know. As we all know there's seldom time enough to teach it all. Essential truths are things our class needs to know for their salvation. For example in the story about the Liahona - It's essential for the class to know -God Guides His Faithful Servants- It's nice to know that some people respond differently to God's commandments and why that happens. It's fun to know that Nephi's bow was made of fine steel and how a bow like that would work.
They taught us so many great things. Never teach without participation. "If you tell me I will forget, if you show me, I'll remember, if you involve me I'll become." We want the principles of the Gospel to go from their mind to their heart. Once it's in their heart, they will be motivated to apply the principles to their own lives. Don't tell the principles to them, let them discover them.
It's also important for our students to feel we love them so they are willing to learn. There were so many great things taught in these classes. Too bad all teachers in the church aren't able to attend these classes. I feel very fortunate I was able to hear what they had to say - such valuable information. Of course they practiced what they preached and involved us in the whole process. I discovered for myself it's an excellent way to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment